Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Definitions and examples

Comma splice
A comma splice is the use of a comma to join two independent clauses.
I'm sleepy, I have to do my homework.

Run on sentence
A run-on sentence is two or more independent clauses are joined without an appropriate punctuation or conjunction.
I have test on Monday I have to study for the test.

sentence fragment
Fragments are incomplete sentences.
Have to study for the test.

independent clause
Independent clause is sentence. The sentence can stand alone and we can understand the sentence.
We went to the store. We brought some fruits.

dependent clause
Dependent clause is a clause that provides an independent clause with additional information, but it  can't stand alone.
He is new student "who came from Japan."
                                       Dependent

No comments:

Post a Comment