Thursday, November 12, 2015

Vocabulary #3

1. mannequin (noun)
A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.
a styled and three-dimensional representation of the human form used in window displays, as of clothing; dummy.

2. second-hand (adj)
I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price,
Something that's not new, used by someone or something.

3. animatedly (adj.)
Many of our classmates were there,with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.
full of life, action, or spirit; lively; vigorous:

4. faltered (verb)
Flustered, I faltered, then hurriedly responded, "Yes, well, I had a good time, too. Good night." I pulled my hand from his, and ran inside.
to speak hesitatingly or brokenly.

5. impulsive (adj)
She would acknowledge that I had done something impulsive,
actuated or swayed by emotional or involuntary impulses :

6. constrained (adj)
I had always felt constrained there.
forced, compelled, or obliged:

7. Gregorian chant (noun)
A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June,
chant of Gregorian

8. pearl (noun)
A string of cream-colored pearls with a platinum-and-diamond clasp lay gracefully draped in the box.
a smooth, rounded bead formed within the shells of certain mollusks and composed of the mineral aragonite or calcite in a matrix, deposited in concentric layers as a protective coating around an irritating foreign object: valued as a gem when lustrous and finely colored.

9. elope (verb)
We're going to elope.
to run off secretly to be married, usually without the consent or knowledge of one's parents.

10. taciturn (adj)
I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.
dour, stern, and silent in expression and manner.

11. sobbed (verb)
I pulled the covers over my head, and sobbed until I fell asleep.
to weep with a convulsive catching of the breath.

12. pouch (noun)
I opened the little package. In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.
a bag, sack, or similar receptacle, especially one for small articles or quantities:


13. listlessly (adj)
As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear, "I love you, Sookan." She squeezed my hand.
having or showing little or no interest in anything; languid; spiritless; indifferent:

14. hymn (noun)
I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.
a song or ode in praise or honor of God, a deity, a nation, etc.


15. Fainted (verb)
Tomorrow, you will be fine. You fainted two days ago and you've been here ever since.
to lose consciousness temporarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment